The Solution Focused Approach
WHAT IS IT?
The solution focused approach is a respectful, jargon-free method of engaging with people to identify their goals and the first steps towards achieving and maintaining these. It has a growing research base with a success rate exceeding 60%; requiring an average of 3 – 5 sessions (http://ebta.nu). The solution focused approach has already been successfully applied over the past 20 years with a wide variety of client groups and situations and can be applied in both one to one work and with couples, families, teams, groups and organisations.
HOW IS IT DONE?
The extract below is taken from Greg’s nine page introductory handout which is elaborated upon on all of his training courses. Simply email email@example.com for a copy.
The Solution Focused Approach “in a nutshell”
- What do you want?
- How will you know when you have it?
- What are you doing already to get there?
- What would be happening if you were a little closer to what you want?
- If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
- Once you know what works do more of it.
- If it doesn’t work, don’t do it again: do something different.